European Teachers Professional Development for Science Teaching in a Web-based Environment
The main focus of the project is the professional development of teachers teaching science subjects at the primary and junior secondary level (grades 1-9). It is guided by the educational policy of the EC, namely the Lisbon Objectives in Education and Training (2000) and their endorsement (2002), which attempts to make education and training systems in Europe a quality reference by 2010.
This project is based on the richness of the experiences of the partners, outcomes achieved, in a previous European project - SySTEM, and the recognition of the importance of ICT as a vehicle for teachers’ professional development.
Overall aims are:
- develop, implement, assess and disseminate a web-based pan-European platform for in-service training;
- enhance the quality of science education.
The target group is primary and junior secondary school teachers, and through them, their pupils, from eight European countries.
Main activities are:
- develop resources that support science education in a web-based environment;
- implement and assess these resources;
- identify and disseminate good practices for in-service teacher education and science education.
Expected outcomes are:
- web-based pan-European science education resources (with materials for teachers and pupils translated in English and in each of seven national language);
- e-portfolios of exemplar materials from in-service teacher training and from effective school-based practice;
- book with guidelines for teachers’ development within an European context and the teacher role in promoting scientific literacy of future citizens;
- articles in national and international journals and presentations at national/international conferences.